Saturday, December 29, 2007

Hijos llegaron

Luke and Melinda arrived about the 27th, after over-nighting in the airport in San Juan. Luke left that afternoon with several from the church here to deliver food to folks in the mountains, hard hit by Hurrican Olga. Since then, we've been shopping together, hanging out with some of the locals and trying out Domincan street cuisine. Melinda went to Spanish class with us. I think the accent is a bit different from her last several professors, especially the one she had from Spain! The kids are heading to the mountains for a youth camping trip. There'll be about 25 all together. They are going to need blankets. We've only been sleeping under a sheet, or uncovered. Over night lows have been in the low to mid 70's. They are planning a secret Santa gift exchange while there, and after describing the game "chubby bunny" game to the youth leader, he bought lots of marshmallows for the evening. Karen and I have a secret Santa exchange here at church. We bought our gifts at La Sirena last night. The church here meets on Sunday night on the first and last Sundays of the month. They'll be back by then. Our address, listed in the bottom post is: Ken & Karen George Calle Primera, No. 61-B Hoya del Caimito Santiago, Dominican Republic Until next time...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad they arrived ok! This is the first day I have been able to get to the blog. I can't wait to read about your exploits. Let me know if you need anything. Please send me the directions on how to send things to you via the ministry drop. We can also plan a "regular mail" shipment and see how it works. What kind of food are you able to get there? Dare you try the hamburger? I'll send taco seasoning and shells for Ken. How is he going to survive without Mexican food?

Anonymous said...

We had steady rain here all day yesterday...1.79" at our house. Weather people say "no impact" on the drought. I guess it is going to take Noah and the Ark rain to get us un-droughted. It even thundered like crazy for about 1/2 hour. I'll let you know if we see snow this week. Mike and I went to the flea market to wander around and I overheard one man say he was sick of the rain. I remembered to be grateful though, even when I went out of the flea market and a bunch of rain ran off the roof onto me. Right now, drowned rat is better than dried up rat.

Anonymous said...

Ken and Karen,

I am so happy to read your blog!! I had not been able to get on previously with the address from the Christmas card...I must have left something out. It is great to hear how you are doing and see where you are staying. I will continue to pray for you! I pray God will give you great strength and courage!! Much love, Pam